Dampness is created when digestion and fluid metabolism are not functioning properly.
Damp can mix with excess Heat, forming a condition known Damp heat.
When treating Damp heat conditions, avoid:
- Rich, congesting food
- Heating foods.
For optimum digestion, it is best to eat small, simply prepared meals with an emphasis on cooked foods.
To reduce the Heat,
- Small amounts of raw foods and
- Juices can be included and
- Vegetarian sources of protein should be favored.
Pungent flavors including mint and basil are beneficial in dispersing congested fluids,
Overly rich, oily or sweet foods should be avoided because they can overwhelm the digestive system and will contribute to the excess Dampness.
Wherever possible choose organically grown foods.
Specific foods for Damp heat
- Rice, rye, millet, barley
- Celery, carrots, spinach, eggplants, cabbage, tomatoes, broccoli, peas, cauliflower, asparagus, watercress, lettuce, radish, shitake mushrooms,
- Lemon, cranberries, watermelon, persimmons
- Mung beans, tofu, aduki beans
- Green tea, chrysanthemum tea (unsweetened), peppermint tea, water,
- Small amounts of juices (diluted)
Foods to restrict or avoid
- Greasy or oily foods, all deep fried foods,
- Cheese, sugar, highly processed foods
- Fatty meats, all dairy, eggs, shrimp, peanuts
- Chilies, cinnamon, garlic, mustard, coffee, excessive amounts of salt, chocolate
- Frozen foods like ice cream or smoothies, iced drinks including ice water