Wind and Damp are two factors that can:
- block the meridians,
- obstruct the smooth flow of Qi and
- Cause pain, numbness and/or swelling.
General dietary recommendations include:
- Regular eating times,
- Eating moderate amounts and chewing thoroughly.
- Raw foods and cold foods (ex: ice cream) will constrict circulation and should be avoided.
- Likewise, highly fatty foods, especially saturated fats will impair circulation.
- Eating while distracted or emotionally stressed should also be avoided.
- The diet should also include plenty of fragrant and lightly spiced dishes.
- Highly processed foods and well as preservatives should be avoided.
- Where ever possible choose organically grown foods.
Specific foods for Wind Damp Patterns
- Turmeric, basil, oregano, rosemary, ginger, flax seed oil or other sources of EFAs
- Rice, barley, rye
- Alfalfa sprouts, cilantro, mustard greens, turnips, mushrooms especially Oyster mushrooms
- Cherries, papaya
- Black beans, kidney beans, lotus seeds, mung beans, black soya beans
Foods to restrict or avoid
- Salads, raw vegetables, eggplants
- Raw fruits, persimmons
- Excess amounts of meats or dairy, refined sugars, high doses of vitamin C
- Cold foods like ice cream or smoothies
- Iced drinks including ice water